This certificate program prepares students interested in beginning a career in web development. It is also suitable for those looking to upgrade their current skillset. The program is designed to present students with the various aspects of web development from both an academic and professional perspective. Students learn the theoretical principles of web page and website development which provide them with a conceptual foundation. At the same time, industry standard tools are utilized to provide students with the hands-on experience needed to qualify for employment as web page designers, web developers, and web analysts.
A web developer designs interactive web pages and applications for the World Wide Web and upgrades existing applications as new architectures are recommended for public use. A web developer must have a comprehensive understanding of how the web operates, know how to incorporate the latest technologies into effective presentation, demonstrate the ability to successfully manage a project, effectively analyze and design Web-based systems, and be able to integrate graphic design components onto a Web page. He or she must have knowledge of Internet protocols, HTML, CSS, scripting languages, relational databases, interactive design, hardware platforms and operating systems.
Graduates are able to:
- describe how storyboards are used in the development of web sites
- develop web pages using appropriate HTML and CSS syntax
- create dynamic web pages utilizing client and server side scripting languages
- utilize advanced technologies in order to create HTML-based applications incorporating audio, video, and dynamically generated 2D graphics
- design websites that display appropriately on mobile devices
- store and retrieve data from back end databases
- design and publish web pages featuring hypertext links, lists, tables, and multimedia
- upload and download files to a Unix server via FTP.