Raritan Valley Community College is an educational community that works to develop critical thinking, foster intellectual curiosity, promote leadership, encourage social responsibility, support personal growth, and sustain engaged citizenship within a diverse population of students and community members.
Our Commitment to Diversity
Raritan Valley Community College values all aspects of diversity including but not limited to race, sexual orientation, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, socioeconomic status, veteran status, gender identification and expression, documentation status, or political and philosophical perspectives.
We rely on diversity to enrich the intellectual environment for our community. We support educational access and opportunity by recruiting and retaining a diverse college community.
We foster diversity by developing and maintaining curricular and social programs that infuse the contributions of all people, and by preparing students to excel in a global society.
Our commitment to diversity is reflected in the College’s Mission Statement and Strategic Plan, all of which support excellence in teaching, learning and professional development in a welcoming and respectful climate.
RVCC Values Statement
LEARNING and GROWTH
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, and INCLUSION
INTEGRITY and DIGNITY
ENGAGEMENT and COLLABORATION
CREATIVITY and INNOVATION
EXCELLENCE and ACHIEVEMENT
1. LEARNING and GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES
- We foster best practices in pedagogy, student support, and professional growth to promote equitable opportunities for intellectual and personal development
- We promote social and economic mobility.
2. DIVERSITY, EQUITY and INCLUSION
- We cultivate a welcoming community, support social justice, and embrace diversity in our population and perspectives.
- We are committed to equity, equality, and accountability for all community members.
3. INTEGRITY and DIGNITY
- We support and respect our community by performing our responsibilities ethically, while working to build compassion, trust, honesty, and academic freedom.
4. ENGAGEMENT and COLLABORATION
- We work interdependently to make informed decisions, take positive action, and encourage leadership and civic engagement to achieve our collective goals.
- We value our partnerships within and across our communities.
5. CREATIVITY and INNOVATION
- When solving current and future challenges, we establish motivating and empowering standards by “thinking anew.”
- We use creative outreach strategies to expand and diversify our populations.
- We support the innovative development of advanced technologies and environmental sustainability practices.
6. EXCELLENCE and ACHIEVEMENT
- We provide a quality education and transformative experiences for students and our community.
- We inspire our community members, throughout their lives, to uphold RVCC values.
Institutional Learning Outcomes
The Intellectual Self
▪to practice inquiry and analysis;
▪to develop intellectual curiosity;
▪to read and write with clarity and persuasion;
▪to recognize the value of the artistic process;
▪to demonstrate competence in numeracy;
▪to access, evaluate, create, and synthesize information from multiple sources;
The Social Self
▪to cultivate integrity;
▪to contribute to the larger community by being civically engaged;
▪to consider the perspective of others;
▪to develop critical and moral reasoning;
▪to practice civility and mindfulness;
▪to embrace lifelong learning.
The Global Self
▪to recognize the interconnectedness of global, national, and local concerns;
▪to understand and analyze historical events and points of view;
▪to become aware of, appreciate, and respect diversity in all its forms;
▪to apply multicultural competencies to promote equity, inclusion, and social justice;
▪to support environmental sustainability and responsibility.
The Professional Self
▪to make connections among concepts and experiences and across disciplines and apply theses skills to new experiences at an increasingly complex level;
▪to work collaboratively and to demonstrate leadership;
▪to develop grit, stamina, and intellectual agility;
▪to develop specific goals, to prioritize, to organize, and to accomplish work;
▪to provide and receive constructive feedback.